Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Group O: “Happily ever after is a concept I'll never believe in.”

(Choice blog, bro.) So recently I’ve noticed myself reading more, and it’s awesome! I’m really addicted to the novels written by Ellen Hopkins. She is the most talented author. Her stories truly speak to me. Her first book is called Crank. It’s actually somewhat a true story about her daughter that came into contact with the drug, crank. It’s a powerful story and you can literally feel what her daughter is going through when she is on the drug. She uses the most unique words to explain things and you can really imagine all of it. It’s scary. My favorite book so far in her series is called Identical. It’s about twin girls, Raeanne and Kaleigh. Their father is an alcoholic judge and their mother is running for something in office. After a huge car crash because of their father (he was drunk), he nearly took their mother’s life. Their family is splitting apart and Raeanne is using drugs and sex as an escape. Kaleigh is trying to find what true love really means. Further into the novel, we find out that Raeanne actually died in that car crash and is living inside of Kaleigh. I guess you can say she has split personalities. One moment she’s Kaleigh, the next she’s Raeanne. It is incredible. Ellen Hopkins is also a unique writer because of the way she writes. She makes her words look as if they are in a poem, but they don’t necessarily rhyme. She sometimes puts them in a way that they form into a picture. Like in Identical, when she was introducing the father, she explained him as an alcoholic while putting the words in the form of a beer bottle. They might be little books, almost 600 pages each, but they are the best novels I have ever read. If you ever find yourself bored, head on up to the library, they have every single one of her books. You’ll be finding yourself addicted.  
“I'm in love. And I like how that feels. And I hate how that feels. Because love is an invention of fiction writers.” ~Kaleigh

No comments:

Post a Comment