Friday, May 4, 2012

Group Q: "Just because it's in print doesn't mean it's the gospel."


At this moment in time I can’t really think of anyone that is my icon or can be iconic to me. I think what makes a person iconic is that they’re strong. Not physically strong where they have tons and tons of muscle, but mentally strong where they’re able to do anything no matter what they’ve been through. I like to be able to relate to someone. It’s easier to understand them and get along with them. I’ve been through a lot in just my seventeen years of life, and I like to hear what other people have to say. I think iconic people should give advice that people can take and actually use. I guess for an example, people say Michael Jackson is an icon. He isn’t an icon to me, but it would probably be an easier way of explaining this with an example. So, Michael Jackson, the pop icon. He has been through a lot. He grew up with strict parents, went through a “skin problem”, and was blamed for molesting some kids. He still turned out to be the most iconic person in the world, sort of. He made so many songs that I fell in love with. He was so unique in the way that he dressed and sang. He changed what pop music used to be. Hell, to be frank I think he created pop music. He’s just so different. Sometimes when I listen to Prince, he reminds me of Michael, but other than that you can never say “oh, that dude sounds exactly like Michael Jackson”. He was inspirational. He put his pain into his music. I guess what I’m trying to say here is in order for someone to be iconic, they need to be able to relate to someone. People need to look up to them, listen to their words and believe them.

No comments:

Post a Comment