Monday, March 5, 2012

Group M: I don't feel like dying today.

I’ve seen a lot of people text and drive before which is quite sad. Surprisingly it’s not just teenagers who do it. My older sister, Sara, was texting before and I was in the front seat beside her. I smacked the phone out of her hand and yelled, “I don’t feel like dying today, thank you very much.” She’s a horrible driver in the first place, so adding texting on top of that wouldn’t make my life any safer in her hands. Besides her stupidity, I actually watched an accident happen before because someone was texting while driving. I’m such a freak about watching the road when I drive, so I don’t understand how these people can be such risk takers. A 2007 study conducted by AAA and Seventeen magazine has been widely misquoted as 46 percent of teens admit to texting while driving. But what the study found is that “61 percent of teens admit to risky driving habits." Forty-six percent of that 61 percent say that they text message while driving (those statistics were taken from CBSnews.com). I don’t feel safe at all when I read those statistics. It’s not just texting though that distracts drivers. Besides Sara texting sometimes, she’s always changing the music and swerving while she does that. About 6,000 deaths and a half a million injuries are caused by distracted drivers every year. Driving while using a cell phone reduces the amount of brain activity associated with driving by 37 percent. If you text and then suddenly look up, your reflexes are as slow as a seventy year old. I just don’t understand how teenagers and adults can read about deaths on the news because of texting while driving and then continue to do it. Are you really that stupid? How important is that text message or phone call? That text message can kill you if you answer it, seriously, think before you do stuff like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment